Our gynecologic cancer researchers and clinicians at Penn Medicine’s Jordan Center for Gynecologic Cancer are leading the way in understanding the causes of gynecologic cancer and in finding more effective forms of treatment.
Today, there's more hope than ever for those who face gynecologic cancer. Our gynecologic cancer team members are pioneers in caring for those who have gynecologic cancer or are at risk. By putting our experience to work, we offer the best possible treatment outcomes. We provide the information, care and support to help you through your treatment every step of the way.
Our program offers:
- Nationally recognized experts with extensive experience in diagnosing and treating gynecologic cancer, as well as those at risk
- Multidisciplinary evaluation
- Advanced diagnostic testing, treatments and technologies
- Coordinated care throughout the experience
- Support services and education programs
- A reputation for sensitivity and responsiveness
- Personalized attention
- Innovative clinical trials
Types of Gynecologic Cancers Treated
Our team has extensive experience in diagnosing and treating all types of gynecologic cancers including:
Offering Advanced Medicine for Gynecologic Cancers
Our Center has been designed to speed diagnosis and treatment, enhance comfort and convenience, and is the conduit to revolutionize research and clinical trials, ensuring that the latest discovery is translated to better patient care immediately.
The Center distinguishes itself from others in a number of ways:
- We have a national reputation for outstanding patient care and innovative treatment approaches unavailable at most hospitals or cancer centers.
- Our gynecologic oncologists work closely with other Penn specialists and your referring physician to provide you with comprehensive, integrated care.
- We have more full-time board certified gynecologic oncologists than any other hospital in the Philadelphia region.
- We are home to gynecological oncologists who use surgical approaches that preserve reproductive organs and provide the best chance for a cure whenever possible.
- We offer robotic gynecologic surgery to treat cervical and uterine cancer. We perform more robotic gynecologic surgeries than any other program in the Philadelphia region.
- We offer advanced laparoscopic surgery to manage early stage cancers of the uterus, cervix and ovaries.
- We provide examination of the use of advanced laparoscopic surgery in morbidly obese uterine cancer patients, an approach that has not traditionally been used.
- We offer advanced clinical treatments, such as intraperitoneal chemotherapy, which has shown to potentially increase survival for advanced ovarian cancer.
- Patients have the option of referral to Penn Fertility Care to discuss options related to fertility for patients who are still in their reproductive years and desire children.
- U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks Penn among the top in the nation for cancer and women's health.
A Prominent Research Program
The Jordan Center for Gynecologic Cancer brings together specialists who are actively involved in leading-edge research, providing you with the added comfort of knowing that you will receive the latest treatments and the most advanced medicine available. Our gynecologic cancer team has dedicated their clinical and research careers to improving our ability to diagnose and treat patients with gynecologic cancer and those at risk. It is this relentless pursuit for the very best clinical outcome and quality of life that drives our program.
We have conducted groundbreaking clinical and basic science research to develop new treatments for recurrent and advanced gynecologic cancer as well as new approaches for cancer detection and prevention.
Our program includes:
- A Center for Research on Early Detection and Cure of Ovarian Cancer -- the first of its kind in the region— that conducts research that includes an ovarian cancer vaccine and a blood test to detect some ovarian cancers when the tumor is a size where it can be successfully treated.
- A dedicated gynecologic cancers research lab, which is the only one of its kind in the Philadelphia region and one of only a handful in the country.
- Groundbreaking research that has led to the discovery that ovarian cancer responds to immunotherapy.
- Active involvement in the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG), a National Cancer Institute-funded National Cooperative Group testing new treatment approaches through clinical trials.
- Currently, we are at the forefront of discoveries in a number of areas, all of which can make a difference to you and your family, both today and in the future.
Our Team Approach
When diagnosed with a gynecologic cancer or concerned about a gynecologic cancer, patients need to have complete confidence in their medical team.
Our team includes physician specialists in gynecologic oncology, radiation oncology, pathology and radiology.
Your team will also include:
- Nurses with advanced training and experience in helping people concerned about gynecologic cancer.
- Patient support specialists: Our patient support specialists are experts in navigating complex health care situations. They serve as a consistent point of contact and a reliable source for support and direction for patients and families.
- Cancer counselors: Our cancer counselors work exclusively with cancer patients and their families. They are available to provide individual, couples or family counseling. Our team includes a psychologist and psychiatrist who specializes in the issues that cancer patients face. Our cancer psychiatrist is available for counseling, prescribing medications and consulting with your team of Penn cancer specialists.
- Registered dietitians: Our registered dietitians are available to provide nutritional counseling for patients being treated for cancer at the cancer center. Our dietitians specialize in cancer nutrition and provide information based on sound nutritional therapies.