2011 – present Principal Investigator, Thoracic Oncology Service, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
• Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)
1. Lead clinical trials assessing the safety and efficacy of using proton-based concurrent chemoradiation as definitive therapy and as part of trimodality therapy prior to planned surgical resection for locally advanced NSCLC.
2. Lead clinical trials detecting circulating tumor cells in patients with NSCLC undergoing definitive radiotherapy or chemoradiotherapy.
3. Author clinical protocols assessing the safety and efficacy of stereotactic body (ablative) radiotherapy for early-stage central and peripheral primary tumors.
4. Assess factors predicting for pulmonary fibrosis and determine ways to mitigate against late radiation-induce lung injury.
5. Assess the differences in normal tissue irradiation doses, patient toxicities, and clinical outcomes between proton therapy and photon therapy for locally advanced NSCLC.
6. Analyze tumor motion and determine ways to account for and mitigate this motion to facilitate treatment with pencil beam scanning proton therapy.
7. Compare the efficacy and toxicity of stereotactic (ablative) body radiotherapy to surgical lobectomy and surgical wedge resection for stage I NSCLC.
8. Assess how local control is influences by fractionation regimen, tumor size, tumor location, and patient operability status for stage I NSCLC.
9. Assess the safety and efficacy of thoracic reirradiation using proton beam radiation therapy and stereotactic body radiotherapy.
10. Assess the correlation between tumor response to chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
11. Asses the role of conventionally fractionated radiation therapy and stereotactic body radiotherapy in stage IV disease for palliation and as definitive therapy in patients with oligometastatic disease.
12. Assess the use of metformin as a radiosensitizer for lung cancer.
13. Assess patient and treatment parameters correlating with the development of radiation pneumonitis.
• Small cell lung cancer (SCLC)
1. Author clinical protocols attempting to decrease toxicities of concurrent radiation therapy and chemotherapy by administering low-dose rate radiation therapy to exploit the limited ability of SCLC to repair sublethal damage.
2. Dosimetric research comparing proton and photon radiation therapy to determine the optimal therapy and target volumes to treat SCLC.
3. Author clinical protocols attempting to decrease toxicities of concurrent radiation therapy and chemotherapy by applying adaptive therapy treatment techniques to exploit the typically rapid tumor volume reduction of SCLC with radiation therapy.
4. Assess how radiation-induced fibrosis evolves over time, determine how the development of radiographic pulmonary fibrosis correlates with respiratory symptoms and quality of life, and determine factors that are predictive for the development of late fibrosis.
5. Assess effects on radiation-induced pulmonary fibrosis and esophagitis according to radiation therapy field designs and treatment techniques.
6. Assess the impact of PET scan staging on overall survival for limited-stage SCLC.
7. Assess the role of advanced imaging in assessing response to definitive chemoradiation prior to prophylactic cranial irradiation in limited-stage SCLC.
8. Quantify the benefit of prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with limited-stage and extensive-stage SCLC.
2011 – present Principal Investigator, Penn Mesothelioma and Pleural Program, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
• Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma (MPM)
1. Author clinical randomized trials assessing the efficacy of photodynamic therapy delivered intraoperatively in conjunction radical pleurectomy for MPM.
2. Assess the safety and efficacy of extrapleural pneumonectomy or radical pleurectomy when combined with intraoperative photodynamic therapy.
3. Quantify the willingness of patients to participate in a phase II/III randomized control trial of radical pleurectomy with or without intraoperative photodynamic therapy for MPM.
4. Correlate radiologic estimates of tumor volume and intraoperative tumor volume with survival for MPM.
5. Author clinical protocols assessing the safety and efficacy of pleural intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) and definitive proton therapy for MPM.
6. Assess the patterns of failure following radical pleurectomy and extrapleural pneumonectomy following surgery alone or in combination with intraoperative photodynamic therapy and/or adjuvant radiation therapy and determine factors associated with local and distant disease recurrence.
7. Determine factors associated with an early recurrence following radical pleurectomy and intraoperative photodynamic therapy and assess how early recurrence impacts survival.
8. Assess the benefit of prophylactic radiotherapy of surgical tracts following radical pleurectomy and intraoperative photodynamic therapy.
1. Assess the efficacy of surgery, photodynamic therapy, and radiation therapy for the treatment of NSCLC in patients with pleural metastasis.
Simone CB II, Wildt B, Haas AR, Pope G, Rengan R, Hahn SM: Stereotactic body radiation therapy for lung cancer Chest 143 (6): 1784-1790,2013.
Simone CB II, Rengan R: The use of proton therapy in the treatment of lung
cancers Cancer J 20 (6): 427-432,2014.
Berman AT, Ellenberg SS, Simone CB: Predicting survival in non-small-cell lung cancer using positron emission tomography: several conclusions from multiple comparisons. J Clin Oncol 32 (15): 1631-2,2014.
Simone CB II, Friedberg JS, Glatstein E, Stevenson JP, Sterman DH, Hahn SM, Cengel KA: Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer J Thorac Dis 4 (1): 63-75,2012.
Simone CB II, Vapiwala N, Hampshire MK, Metz JM: Palliative care in the management of lung cancer: analgesic utilization and barriers to optimal pain management J Opioid Manag 8 (1): 9-16,2012.
Simone CB II, Vapiwala N, Hampshire MK, Metz JM: Internet-based survey evaluating use of pain medications and attitudes of radiation oncology patients toward pain intervention Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 72 (1): 127-133,2008.
Mayer R, Liacouras P, Thomas A, Kang M, Lin L, Simone CB II: 3D printer generated thorax phantom with mobile tumor for radiation dosimetry Rev Sci Instrum 86 (7): 074301,2015.
Quon H, Simone CB II, Cengel K, Finlay JC, Zhu TC, Busch TM: Photodynamic Therapy in the Management of Cancer Perez and Brady’s Principles of Practice of Radiation Oncology, 6th Edition : 539-551,2013.
John-Aryankalayil M, Palayoor ST, Cerna D, Simone CB II, Falduto MT, Magnuson SR, Coleman CN: Fractionated radiation therapy can induce a molecular profile for therapeutic targeting Radiat Res 174 (4): 446-458,2010.
Simone CB II, Kramer K, O'Meara WP, Bekelman JE, Belard JL, McDonough J, O'Connell J: Predicted rates of secondary malignancies from proton versus photon radiation therapy for stage I seminoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82 (1): 242-249,2012.
View all publications